Emerald Necklace

emerald necklace

You could shoot along the Emerald Necklace everyday for a year and still not cover it all. The Necklace comprises half of the City of Boston’s park acreage, parkland in the Town of Brookline, and parkways and park edges under the jurisdiction of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. More than 300,000 people live within its watershed area. From Boston Common to Franklin Park it is approximately seven miles by foot or bicycle through the parks.

Emerald Necklace Photos


the boston artist

Boston Art Gallery

Cider Hill Farm

cider hill farm | color photography

Cider Hill Farm began in 1978 when Ed and Eleanor Cook purchased the old Battis Dairy Farm with the hope of transforming it into an apple farm. Not long after that, the Cook’s son, Glenn, along with his new bride, Karen, bought the adjacent Vedrani Poultry Farm so they could start a quality life together.We now grow fruits and vegetables on nearly 70 acres of our 145 acre farm and offer many of these as pick your own crops. We have grown a very diversified approach in regards to labor, marketing, season extension, community involvement, and progressive practices that you will see in our renewable energy projects.

Cider Hill Photos

Newport Trek

newport mansions | color photography

It was a spectacular day, not even a hint of wind. There were many sightseers walking the cliffs, and many taking pictures of the coastline.

I walked around the corner, southeast of The Breakers Estate, to get situated. The cliff walk is interrupted momentarily there with a bit of sandy beach, and the mansions become less grand as you go. It was a nice enough spot and I picked up these four shots just before the sun went down.


Newport Trek
Boston Art Gallery

Old South Meeting House

old south meeting house
Old South Meeting House in Boston MA

The Old South Meeting House is a historic church building at the corner of Milk and Washington Streets in the Downtown Crossing area of Boston, Massachusetts, built in 1729. It gained fame as the organizing point for the Boston Tea Party on December 16, 1773. Five thousand or more colonists gathered at the Meeting House, the largest building in Boston at the time

The church was completed in 1729, with its 183 ft. steeple. The congregation was gathered in 1669 when it broke off from First Church of Boston, a Congregationalist church founded by John Winthrop in 1630. The site was a gift of Mrs. Norton, widow of John Norton, pastor of the First Church in Boston. The church’s first pastor was Rev. Thomas Thatcher, a native of Salisbury, England. Thatcher was also a physician and is known for publishing the first medical tract in Massachusetts.

After the Boston Massacre in 1770, yearly anniversary meetings were held at the church until 1775, featuring speakers such as John Hancock and Dr. Joseph Warren. In 1773, 5,000 people met in the Meeting House to debate British taxation and, after the meeting, a group raided three tea ships anchored nearby in what became known as the Boston Tea Party.

In 1775, the British occupied the Meeting House due to its association with the Revolutionary cause. They gutted the building, filled it with dirt, and then used the interior to practice horse riding. They destroyed much of the interior and stole various items, including William Bradford’s Of Plymouth Plantation (1620), a unique Pilgrim manuscript hidden in Old South’s tower.

Old South Meeting House was almost destroyed in the Great Boston Fire of 1872, saved by the timely arrival of a fire engine from Portsmouth, New Hampshire, but the fire caused the city’s residential districts to shift toward the Back Bay, away from the church. The congregation then built a new church building (the “New” Old South Church at Copley Square) which remains its home to this day. The Old South congregation returns to Old South Meeting House for services in its ancestral home once a year, on the Sunday before Thanksgiving.