Custom House Tower rising up in the background of Faneuil Hall, next to the 27,000 square-feet of Quincy Market in Boston.
By the time Boston was incorporated as a city in 1822, downtown commercial demand had grown beyond the capacity of Faneuil Hall. To provide an expansion of shop space Quincy Market was built, as an indoor pavilion of vendor stalls.
Designed by Alexander Parris, the main building was built immediately east of and “behind” Faneuil Hall which at the time sat next to the waterfront at the town dock. In an early example of Boston’s tendency for territorial growth via landfill, part of the harbor was filled in with dirt to provide a plot of land for the market. The commercial growth spawned by the new marketplace led to the reconstruction or addition of six city streets.