Some interesting information about Winthrop and the surrounding areas. Winthrop was settled in 1630 as Pullen Poynt (Pulling Point), so named because the tides made hard pulling for boatmen. Originally part of an area called Winnisimmet. The area was annexed by Boston in 1634. In 1739, what is now Chelsea, Revere, and Winthrop, withdrew from Boston and became the Town of Chelsea. Winthrop suceded from Chelsea in 1852 and incorporated as a town. It is named for John Winthrop, second governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony and an English Puritan leader.
Amesbury autumn boston boston cityscape boston fine art boston harbor boston photography boston skyline boston skyline boston cityscape bridge central park charles river church cityscape clouds color photography deer island dusk ether monumnet fall foliage harbor harbor islands headshots induro lamppost massachusetts men's headshots new england new england photography new york ocean park powwow river public garden river skyline sunset tower hill trinity church tripod waterfall water plant winthrop yellow